Sunday, September 4, 2011

A difference in parties - Rotterdam Junction Irene update

Well,  I must say that today showed me a difference in the two parties in our two-party system.  The other day, I was down in Rotterdam Junction at the fire department doing what I could to help out.  While I was there, I saw one of our legislators, a Democrat, all dressed up, seemingly asking questions as far as what was going on.  I didn't walk right up to find out what was going on, but it was obvious they were not planning on getting dirty, they just wanted information on those who were.

Today brought the contrary view. a Republican showed up at the fire department.  Now, not only was this Republican not wearing their three-piece suit, they were quit muddy, as in that they had been out in the field working on helping out residents in taking the items out of their houses and doing what needed to be done.  This person also took the time to talk to different people at the site, not jut talking to those who might be considered "in charge."  This person also took the time to talk to me.  They stated that they were doing this because they saw that it was something that needed to be done, and that they didn't want any publicity for it, so this is the reason that I will not be posting their names or any other identifying details. 

This person knows that they spoke to me, and knows that I respect them for this and thank them for the ways that they were currently giving back to the community. 

There were also some of the people who were at the firehouse that were telling me that another person who is in politics was there, but I don't wish to give their names here, as I did not see them, nor do I know how that visit went, or if they would want their names here. 

Thank you to those who have come out to help over the past week, and let's remember that this recovery is no where close to being complete.  This will take weeks, if not months for things to get close to any semblance of ordinary life.

No comments:

Post a Comment